Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thread of Grace: Part 1

I mentioned in a previous post that my dad left when I was quite young. What I didn't mention was that my dad was a womanizer and after multiple affairs he left my mother for a 19 year old model.  Though he was quite wealthy, he rarely sent child support or alimony. My mother was too hurt and headstrong and proud to fight for it. We moved 200 miles away, into a tiny apartment in a tiny town bringing only our clothes, antique furniture that my mom had inherited from her grandmother, and a luxury vehicle which she promptly traded in for a small red Ford. My mother had been an accountant in my father's business so not only was she a single mother, she was a jobless single mother.

She sold her Cartier watch to get us by and then quickly found a job in a CPA firm. I remember holding the watch in my hand on the way to the pawn shop. Loose diamonds floated in the face, and the thin gold band felt like liquid silk. She took it from me, placed it in a long blue velvet box, took the keys out of the ignition and told me to sit still until she returned. When she came back to the car she carried poise, confidence, and a look of victory.

Back in the early 90's a female accountant's salary was just barely enough to support a family. We ate liver cheese sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, fried bologna sandwiches, sometimes just two slices of bread with mayonnaise in between. She scrimped and saved every penny she had to send me the private school in our little town. Each night we would eat our sandwiches and she would tell me, "Christy, education is the key to your future. Take advantage of it and do your very best. It's the only way you'll make it in this world as a woman." I took her words to heart...

2 comments:

  1. You are a courageous women, Christy. Keep on writing, and we'll be here listening on the other end. I think it's a good idea to write in "moments" so that you can come back and consciously live in the "now" where you have a blessing of a sweet, sweet boy. Remember all of the past -good and bad- make us who we are today. And from what I read, you have an outstanding, remarkable way to view and feel the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so eager to hear more of your story! I can already tell that you are a strong women and it's apparent where you have gotten it from! You're mother sounds like an amazing women.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each one, and I'll always try to reply.